Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
Calle Tulipán s/n 28933 Móstoles.
The UNESCO Chair on Communication Research, with a focus on Africa, promoted by Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, is committed to high level research and teaching in communication, with a major interest in African context. This aims to promote research in communication studies and the improvement of development processes in Africa through the promotion of freedom of expression and better communication practices.
The choice of the Chair for Africa is directly linked to the main priorities of UNESCO, specifically, the Medium-Term Strategy (2008-2013). Our Chair directly connects to one of the major mission statements of UNESCO, which is the promotion of intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, and communication and information, considering that the Chair focuses on research in communication and collaboration strategies with African universities.
The UNESCO Chair on Communication Research was born, therefore, to be committed to service and collaboration. Service being to the community of researchers, both within our borders, and looking first to the south, then across the Atlantic, and then north. It is our opinion that collaboration through knowledge and innovation can only occur from the active participation and combined efforts.
The Chair is located at the Campus of Fuenlabrada, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid.
Director of the Chair:
Mrs. Carmen Caffarel Serra
Vice-Director of the Chair:
Mr. Antonio García Jiménez
Co-ordinator of the Chair:
Mr. José Carlos Sendín Gutiérrez
Mr. Rainer Rubira García
This one of the ways in which the Chair intends to project its activities throughout time and especially during the academic year. The Seminars on Communication Studies are especially designed to discuss cutting-edge subjects, such as mobile information and ICT dissemination, influence of new Web 2.0 tools (e.g. blogs, social networks platforms), ICT appropriation. Our seminars will devote an especial interest to African specialists, through invitation to key speakers from Africa.
One of the Chair´s goals is to establish contacts and partnerships with universities and research centers. To this end, we have established partnerships with several Official Masters held at the School of Communication Sciences, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, which are privileged platforms for internationalization, through mobility of students and teachers. All these Official Masters are accredited by National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (Aneca) and adapted to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
- Master in Communication and Socio-cultural Issues
- Master in Cultural Journalism and New Trends
- Master in Film, Television and Interactive Media
Interuniversity Exchanges / Partnerships
The establishment of partnerships with African universities (and from other latitudes) is one of the main objectives of the Chair. For that reason we have initiate a double strategy:
First, to update and refresh the formal agreements already established by our university with African universities so far. These agreements were signed with the following universities:
- 01-dec-04 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Agostinho Neto (Luanda, Angola).
- 11-jan-05 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Abdelmalek Essaâdi (Tetuán, Marruecos).
- 24-sep-08 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Oscar Ribas (Angola).
- 19-dec-08 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Mouloud Mammeri de Tizi-Ouzu (Algeria).
- 30-mar-09 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Université Catholique du Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- 28-oct-10 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Hassan II – Aín Chock Casablanca. Morocco.
- 05-nov-10 Framework partnership agreement between Universidad Rey Juan Carlos and Universidad Abdou Moumouni de Niamey. Niger.
And secondly, we are starting a new round of contacts with African universities. Among them are:
Cape Vert University.
University of Guiné Bissau.
Cheikh Anta Diop University, Senegal.